We humans are a superstitious bunch. Some touch wood frequently, others mutter about rabbits on the first day of each month, and apparantly a large number wear particular socks or T-shirts in the pursuit of that most ephemeral of things, luck. Do book collectors have particular rituals or superstitions regarding visits to a rare bookstore or the examination of rare book catalogs? We're sure you do. Let us know your particular good-luck rituals or habits in the comments below... if you care to reveal your secrets.
While you ponder that question, here are the latest rare book catalogs from ABAA members for your temptation and enjoyment.
New Acquisitions, September 2016 -- featuring 57 items of Americana
Recent Acquisitions -- list only available to mailing list subscribers. Sign up here...
- Native American Activism
- Chicano & Latino Posters including the Puerto Rican Independence Movement
- Filipinos in America & America in the Philippines; Activism, literature & history
- BREAKING ALL THE RULES: Social Commentary in Modern American Board Games -- In this catalog we offer a wide variety of modern American board games that are unified by a common theme - they all carry some type of social commentary. Whether it was by accident or by design, these games are a reflection of cultural anxieties and changing social mores.
- BANANAS! A List of Unique Food & Drink Material -- Highlights include an extensive early 20th century holographic cookbook, a Space Race-era educational piece on a different sort of rocket fuel (coffee), and a shipboard menu that is, well, bananas.
E-List: Joe Brainard -- NY School poet and painter Joe Brainard.
List 224 -- Books about Books, Press Books, Literature
Occupations: Art, Squatting, & Contested Spaces -- A short list of 20 items related to the them of Occupation, including material related to ABC No Rio and the Real Estate Show, People's Park, the American Indian Movement, and international squatting movements.
- E-list No. 29 -- Miscellany: The Shaken Dove, Eternal Love Knots, Camp for Girls, Many Menus & Of Course the Children
- E-list No. 28 Miscellany -- Bierbrauer, Building Applications, Gender Roles, Fashion, Poetry & Of Course the Children.
Catalog 70: Book Arts -- Fine printing from the Kelmscott Shakespeare to a selection from Perishable Press; fine bindings including two by Donald Glaister, photography including Cig Harvey’s new book, and a selection of non-traditional artist’s books including Elizabeth McKee’s interpretation of the child’s rhyme, “Hey, Diddle Diddle.
- List 34: Trade before Trump -- A Short List of 40 19th century American Pamphlets and Broadsides on Free Trade, Tariffs, and Protectionism
- List 33: Venezuela -- Modern Publications on Politics, History, Finance, Literature, Bibliography
Occasional List 2016-1 -- 51 items published from 1839-1986 on or about photographically illustrated books, the technology and/or chemistry of photography, and a few actual photographs.
E-list #46 is availble to email subscribers only. The receive electronic lists from John Michael Lang Fine Books email email@example.com...
- A Selection of 30 Antiquarian Titles -- September 20, 2016
- A Selection of 30 Antiquarian Titles -- September 13, 2016
- A Selection of 30 Antiquarian Titles -- September 6, 2016
- Catalog 151, Rare Americana -- A catalog of significant and unusual imprints relating to America.
- Latin American and Cuban Poetry and Politics
- Live from New York
- Not-So-Micro-Catalog: Brooklyn -- Part I. Civil, Social, Political, Cultural, Radical; Part II. Industrial, Visual, Personal, Internal, Tactile New York Interest, Letters, War and Americana, Sixties and Eighties Oddities, Art, Photography, Women, African Americana.
Sex, Death & the Devil -- An expansion of an established theme exploring visually stimulating, intellectually engaging, and often challenging items. This selection of material includes rare editions, archival materials, and obscure media illustrating facets of human sexuality, gender diversities, mortality, and contentious belief systems. The catalog is both diverse and thoughtful, exploring a broad spectrum of interests.
- CATALOG 79: MUSICAL MANUSCRIPTS, PART I: A-M -- including autograph manuscripts, copyist manuscripts, and autograph musical quotations
- THE PAUL J. JACKSON OPERA COLLECTION (Part VII: R-S) -- Autograph Letters, Signed Scores, Printed Music, Books, Programs, Drawings, Posters, Prints, Photographs & Related Ephemera
List #6: Nexus Press -- 53 items, ranging from exhibition catalogs to artists' books, and a few things in between.
Catalog 265 -- 80th Anniversary Catalog
E-Catalogue 9 -- 21 books, manuscripts, and prints
- More September Acquisitions
- September Acquisitions
- Catalog 267: Road Trip! -- A catalog for summer, when families and drivers traditionally take to the open road.
- Special List 246 -- Nine Recent Acquisitions
- Special List 245 -- Salazar & The Estado Novo, Relatively Recent Portuguese Imprints
From Darwin to Dalloway -- Includes an extremely rare presentation copy of Darwin’s On the Origin of Species, inscribed first editions of the reclusive Thomas Pynchon, and a rare signed portrait of Charles Dickens. Other highlights include a first edition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, an inscribed first edition of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and a first edition of How to Trade in Stocks by Jesse Livermore in the rare original dust jacket. Within these pages, you will discover not only classics of adult and children’s literature, but also landmark books regarding scientific discoveries, politics, economics, sport, and exploration.
- Catalog 16-2: Summer-Fall of 2016 -- 60 +diaries, journals, scrapbooks, photograph albums, ephemera, and even a few books.
- Number 16-1: Spring - Summer of 2016 -- A wide- range of interesting (and mostly unique) Americana: diaries, photograph albums, books, advertising, sheet music, and other ephemera
- Literature E-List Sept. 2016 - Modern and Contemporary Poetry Pamphlets
- Catalog 337: The Federal Era
- Catalog 126 -- Recent Acquisitions
- Sept 13, 2016 Recent Acquisitions (aka, E-list #15)
- 28 Recent Acquisitions (E-list #14)
Fall 2016 -- Consisting of 29 early (16th-17th-century) continental books.
Catalog 171 -- Featuring signed photographs, illustrations, and documents.
Catalogue 145: E.F. The Fascist Era in Italy, 1914-1945 -- Gathering of books and a variety of pamphlets and ephemeral material... sheet music, posters, flyers... representative of propaganda created and distributed during these three decades.
- E-list #5: Counterculture, Women, Native Americans, Prisons...
- E-list #4: All About Women
- E-list #3: Women's Rights, LGBT rights, poetry flyers, prostitutions, mimeos et. al.
- 25 Children's Books -- to entertain, to educate, or to dazzle with illustration (and occasionally all three).
- 25 Travels and Voyages -- featuring expeditions and exploits in Alaska, China, Colombia, India, Iran, Italy, the Nile, Syria, South Africa, Tibet, Turkey, and on the oceans in between.
- 19th Century Photographically Illustrated Books and Albums -- Part 1
- 19th Century Photographically Illustrated Books and Albums -- Part 2
Catalog 8 -- Featuring Romanov family material, poetry, DP camp publications, emigre imprints, and more, in various Slavic languages. Also included are several items of/about Russia in German, French, and English.
Remember, you can always browse and download the latest catalogs published by ABAA members on ABAA.org by visiting the following link: https://www.abaa.org/catalog/... (You can also access this page by selecting 'Booksellers' from the top menu, scroll to the bottom of the page to 'Member Catalogs', and click on 'View All'.)