Abridged Catalogue of the Pictures at Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey, in the Collection of…
by (COOK, Herbert)
One printed floor plan & 25 plates. xiii, 112 pp. Small 4to, orig. navy blue cloth, spine gilt. London: W. Heinemann, 1932. The catalogue of the famous Cook collection at Doughty House, "Intended for the use of Visitors in the Galleries only, and is not to be taken away." Cook (1868-1939), patron and art historian, inherited the art collection of his father, Sir Frederick Cook, 2nd Baronet (1844-1920). Herbert helped found the Art Fund, Burlington Magazine, and the Arundel Club. This collection began with the 1st Baronet, Sir Francis Cook (1817-1901), a London merchant. "Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt, though primarily remembered for his Old Master paintings, also assembled the last great collection of Greek and Roman marbles in Britain and possessed excellent decorative arts…His money derived from his father's linen retailing business, which he expanded into a vast wholesaling empire. Cook lived at Doughty House on Richmond Hill and also owned Beckford's old house, Monserrate, in Sintra, which he remodelled in the style of an oriental palace. But it was above all his paintings which enthralled visitors to Richmond… "Italian paintings predominated. One of the most admired was The Adoration of the Magi by Fra Angelico and Fra Filippo Lippi [now at the National Gallery of Art, Washington], a tondo painted in Florence between 1440 and 1460 which Cook acquired at the sale in 1874 of Alexander Barker. His other Italian pictures included major works by Antonello da Messina, Giovanni Bellini, Carlo Crivelli, Titian, and Raphael… "Cook's most admired northern masterpiece was a work rare in any private collection, a panel attributed to the brothers Jan and Hubert van Eyck of The Three Marys at the Sepulchre. Cook also acquired works by Rubens, Van Dyck, Rembrandt, Claude, Poussin, Chardin, Greuze and Lancret…His collection therefore resembled a smaller private version of the National Gallery, London. Astonishingly, his grandson, Sir Herbert Cook, was able to add works of similar quality, notably Titian's Portrait of a Lady 'La Schiavona' (NG London), and Rembrandt's Portrait of Titus (Norton Simon). The dispersal of the Cook collection began after Sir Herbert's death and many of the paintings were acquired by Samuel H. Kress and are now consequently in Washington."-Stourton and Sebag-Montefiore, The British as Art Collectors, p. 254-55. The Salvator Mundi, purchased in 1900, is attributed to the "Milanese School." It was put up for auction by Sir Francis Cook, 4th Baronet, in 1958 as by Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio, a disciple of da Vinci, and sold for just 45 pounds. The preface, written by Maurice Brockwell, provides historical information on the Cook's collecting. The descriptions of the pictures are organized by room, with longer notes on the most important works. At the end there is an index of painters, a general index, and a portrait index. A fine copy. Natural paper flaw and small pinholes on the half-title.
(Inventory #: 6070)
You can be confident that when you make a purchase through ABAA.org, the item is sold by an ABAA member in full compliance with our Code of Ethics. Our sellers guarantee your order will be shipped promptly and that all items are as described. Buy with confidence through ABAA.org.