1858 · Edinburgh & London:
STAPLETON, a township, in the parish of Darrington, "Stapleton Park, the seat of the late John Watson Barton, Esq., was originally the property of Edward Lascelles, Esq., who succeeded to the title of Baron Harewood in 1796". Barton bought the property in 1833.The present volume is signed by Julia Barton, 1859. There was a hospital for the mentally ill in Stapleton Park. Juliana Barton [nee Hope of Edinburgh], married John Watson Barton in 1830.
CONTENTS: Preface -- Locke and Sydenham -- St. Paul's thorn in the flesh: what was it? -- Dr. Andrew Combe -- "With brains, sir" -- Exursus ethicus -- Dr. Henry Marshall and military hygiene -- Rab and his friends -- Arthur H. Hallam -- Art and science: a contrasted parallel -- The black dwarf's bones -- Our Gideon Grays -- Dr. Andrew Brown and Sydenham -- Free competition in medicine. (Inventory #: GG01592)