first edition Hardcover
1906 · Philadelphia
by Clay, Albert T. (Text by); H. V. Hilprecht (Edited by)
Philadelphia: Department of Archaeology, University of Pennsylvania, 1906. First edition. Hardcover. vg. Folio (12 1/2 x 9"). ix, , 74, pp (Text), 72, xv leaves (Plates); pp (Additions and Corrections). Modern olive cloth, with gold lettering to spine. The greater part of the tablets here published were discovered during the second Expedition to Nippur, sent out by the Babylonian Committee of the University of Pennsylvania, in the years 1889-90, under the directorship of Prof. John P. Peters. The tablets were found quite close to the south-west wall of the palace, known as the "Court of Columns." This palace was situated in the northern part of the western half of the city, opposite to the Temple of Bêl, and almost directly west of it. Nearly all of these tablets are of a redish terra-cotta, and are thoroughly baked; in consequence of which, they are unusually well preserved. This volume is illustrated with 72 plates of autograph texts, and 15 plates of halftone reproductions. Ex-library bookplate on inside of front cover, and pocket on inside of back cover. Ex-library stamp to top and bottom edges. Binding and interior in very good condition.
(Inventory #: 45847)