1890 · [Elsinore, C
This ledger tracks the funds of some of the more prominent southern California businesses and individuals of the time, including Machado & Co., owned by descendents of José Agustin Machado, who held Mexican land grants throughout Alta California, including the Ranchos of La Ballona, Santa Laguna, and Santa Rosa. Also featured in the ledger is Horace McPhee (publisher of the SANTA PAULA CHRONICLE), W.G. McVicar (owner of one of the early clay companies in southern California), S.A. Stewart (the agent named on the blotter mentioned above and later president of the Consolidated Bank of Elsinore), several businesses and churches, the local Masonic Lodge, the Santa Rosa Cattle Company, the Ladies Aid Society, the TRANSCRIPT newspaper, and the aforementioned Bank of Elsinore. Among the most significant customers of the bank was the Equality Colony, part of the Southern California Colony Association founded by John W. North and others to cultivate grapes and semi-tropical fruits in the region, which subsequently kicked off a new "gold rush" as horticulturalists and investors flocked to the area to be part of the new and rapidly growing citrus industry.
This extensive banking ledger is a vital financial record of economic, agricultural, and population growth in southern California in the late 19th century. (Inventory #: WRCAM55054)