1844 · [Talbotton, Talbot County, Georgia]
William Blount MARSHALL, son of Stephen MARSHALL and Elizabeth BURT, was born on 6 May 1796 in Halifax County, North Carolina.1 He was planter and politician. He was a member of the Georgia House of Representatives in 1843 and a member of the Senate in 1855. He represented Talbot county in the Secession Convention in 1861. His plantation was on the old stage route from New Orleans to Savannah to Charleston, South Carolina. Across from his home he had a carriage factory, a gin factory and two blacksmith shops, as well as a general merchandise store and the Bluff Springs Post Office.
Henry Lewis Benning (April 2, 1814 - July 10, 1875) was a general in the Confederate States Army. He also was a lawyer, legislator, and judge on the Georgia Supreme Court. He commanded "Benning's Brigade" during the American Civil War. Following the Confederacy's defeat at the end of the war, he returned to his native Georgia, where he lived out the rest of his life. Fort Benning is named after him, but the base will be renamed Fort Moore to honor retired Lt. Gen. Harold "Hal" and Julia Moore for their contributions to the U.S. Army. (Inventory #: 28355)