1837 · Cooperstown, N.Y.
One of the Phinneys' series of stereotyped quarto Bibles, of which 138 editions were published between August 1822 and winter 1848. The Phinney brothers, Henry and Elihu, carried on the business their father, Elihu Phinney, had started in 1795; the elder Phinney had established a press, bookshop, and newspaper after resettling in Cooperstown from Connecticut. James Fenimore Cooper, a delegate to the 1816 convention that formed the American Bible Society, learned to set type in his shop — for fun (Hills, 69). The younger Phinneys, however, were not to be restricted to one shop: They sold their stock (which consisted of their own publications together with books brought in from Philadelphia and New York) from large travelling wagons and established a "bookboat" on the Erie Canal that enabled them to reach a larger portion of western New York.
The New Testament here has a separate title-page, and the volume is llustrated with 10 wood engraved plates including two frontispieces.
Hills, English Bible in America, 972. Contemporary sheep, gilt-lettered on the spine. Binding rubbed with abrasions along edges and joints, spine pulled at head. Ex-library, with white-lettered shelf number on spine. Light foxing. One plate with tear from bottom edge, not intruding upon illustration. Small hole to one leaf, with loss of several letters of marginal notes. (Inventory #: 15822)