1841 · Leipzig
Handstamp, "G. Schirmer, New York, 701 Broadway" to foot of title and first page of each string part; early owner's handstamp, "H. O. C. Kortheuer," across Schirmer handstamp.
Cloth spine mostly lacking. Somewhat brittle and browned; impression occasionally light; Piano and Violino parts dampstained at spine. First Edition, probable later issue. WorldCat (2 copies only in the U.S., at the University of California, Davis and the Newberry Library, Chicago). The first issue was published in 1841.
"In a review of perhaps [Marschner's] best-known instrumental piece, the Trio no.2 (op.111), Schumann is guarded in his evaluation. While the total impression is favourable, he says, the deficiencies of the work emerge upon closer examination... The upper voice predominates, and there is little polyphonic interest, as if the composer could simply not break away from the more familiar environment of supporting a soloist in opera with a subordinate accompaniment... although he is universally praised for his piano parts in chamber music, a fact that has caused his piano trios (the second of which has been recorded)... to retain lasting interest among specialists." A. Dean Palmer in Grove Music Online.
Hermann O. C. Kortheuer (1848-1920) was a pianist and composer, best known as a teacher. Born in Germany, he immigrated to the U.S. as a child with his parents. He studied with Liszt. After living in Brooklyn, New York, for many years, he founded and directed the "Kortheuer-Liszt Piano School" in Cleveland, Ohio. See The Musical Blue Book of America 1919-20, p. 268, and genealogical websites. (Inventory #: 25786)