193054 · Bombay
Founded in 1875 by spiritualist Helena Blavatsky, occultist William Quan Judge, Colonel Henry Steel Olcott, and others in New York City, the Theosophical Society aims to promote the study of comparative religions and the occult. After Blavatsky's death in 1891, the society split in 1895 into two groups — one led by Judge in the United States and another led by Olcott and Annie Besant in India. This collection of pamphlets, published by the latter, contains excerpts of texts written by the Judge, Blavatsky, Damodar Mavalankar, Annie Besant, and Koot Hoomi. => A list is available on request.
Provenance: Bookplate of the United Lodge of Theosophists, Ottawa, Ontario, tucked into each volume; several pamphlet wrappers and a few pages of text with library stamps from theosophical institutions.
Evidence of Readership: Underlining or other markings in a number of the pamphlets in very neat ink and pencil, sometimes colored. Recent navy blue cloth, printed paper label on spine with gilt ruling and decoration, new endpapers; all pamphlet wrappers bound in text. Marked as above, one pamphlet with label residue to front wrapper. (Inventory #: 36132)