1843 · Calcutta
The title-page tells us this was translated "by the Calcutta Baptist missionaries with native assistants" and that it was translated from the Hebrew. The lead translator was William Yates (1792–1845), a Baptist missionary who was first stationed at Serampore where he studied under William Carey and afterwards resided and worked at Calcutta.
Titled in English, the text is in Bengali characters in a double-column format.
Binding: Brown ribbon–embossed cloth, printed paper spine label, all edges speckled red. Bookcloth is Krupp style At2, which => suggests the cloth was exported to India in addition to its use in England and America.
Searches of NUC, WorldCat, and COPAC locate only one copy in the U.S.. one in Canada, and two in Britain.
Not in Darlow & Moule; nor North & Nida, Book of a Thousand Tongues (1972); on binding cloth, see: Krupp, Bookcloth in England and America, 1823–50, p. 50. Bound as above; cloth lightly discolored in a mottled fashion, spine chipped with small loss of cloth and printed label rubbed, one mark on back cover. Gentle age-toning with light foxing on endpapers. (Inventory #: 36118)