1572 · Lipsiae
Melanchton's final work, a collection of documents on confession and doctrinal teaching, first published (as the Corpus doctrinae philippicum, with Melanchthon thereby becoming the first to use the phrase "body of doctrine" as such) around the time of his death in 1560. => This edition was printed by Hans Rambau in a small, neat roman type with occasional Greek, with two pages done in black-letter, and with a vignette portrait of the author on the title-page.
Binding: Contemporary calf, covers framed and panelled in blind with blind-tooled roll and corner fleurons surrounding a central strapwork and foliate medallion; front cover blind-tooled "B.G.C." above medallion and "1574" below it, between their own rules.
Evidence of readership: Front fly-leaf with early 20th-century inked note regarding edition and portrait, signed "E.J.S."; a few instances of light early underlining; eight pages with early inked shouldernotes in Latin (ink color differing from above underlining).
Provenance: Unidentified 16th-century collector; "B.G.C." on the binding. Later in the Library of the Pacific School of Religion (properly deaccessioned).
VD16 M 2890; this ed. not in Adams. Binding as above, rebacked with similar black calf, spine with gilt-stamped leather title-label and blind-ruled raised bands; original leather edges worn and chipped, edges and extremities refurbished, new endpapers. Ex-library (properly released): front fly-leaf, title-page, and one other page with old rubber-stamps. Annotations and underlining as above; front fly-leaf with chipped portion of paper bookplate adhered to upper outer corner. One leaf with small chip in upper margin; pages age-toned with occasional small smudges, otherwise clean. => An attractive, interesting example of this important work. (Inventory #: 36726)