1975 · Westerham
Limited Editions Club rendition of the foundational novel of the Gothic movement in English literature, originally printed in 1764. This classic, enormously influential supernatural romance is here introduced by Wilmarth ("Lefty") Sheldon Lewis (founder of the Lewis Walpole Library and editor of Walpole's correspondence), and illustrated with => seven full-page, 18th-century watercolors and sepia wash drawings from originals from Walpole's library at Strawberry Hill — these published for the first time ever.
Meriden Gravure Co. accomplished the printing here, following Ruari McLean's design. Tapley-Rutter bound the volume in quarter dark blue levant leather binding with yellow Tumba Ingres paper–covered sides, the leather stamped in gilt and the paper in a green and blue medieval-inspired design matching the gilt stamping on the spine.
This is => numbered copy 733 of 2000 printed, signed at the colophon by the editor. The appropriate LEC prospectus and newsletter are laid in.
Bibliography of the Fine Books Published by the Limited Editions Club, 490. Bound as above, in original dark blue paper–covered slipcase with printed spine label; slipcase showing minor shelfwear and one small dent to one spine edge, volume in beautiful condition. (Inventory #: 37082)