From February 10–12, 2023, thousands of book lovers, rare-book dealers, and scholars will converge at the Pasadena Convention Center for the 55th California International Antiquarian Book Fair. Recognized as one of the world's largest and most pre-eminent exhibitions of antiquarian books, the California Book Fair gives visitors a chance to see, learn about and purchase the finest in rare and valuable books, manuscripts, modern first editions, children’s books, ephemera, maps, autographs and more.
The California Book Fair’s 2023 edition promises an eclectic mix of special collection exhibits highlighting a noteworthy range of topics, including:
- The Game's Afoot: Collecting Sherlock Holmes – featuring materials from Occidental College’s special collection of perennial favorite Sherlock Holmes;
- Helen Brown: Bibliophile and Champion of West Coast Cuisine – highlighting the renowned food writer’s inscribed materials and correspondence with fellow iconic food writer, M.F.K. Fisher;
- What the Hell is Ukulele Literature? – with books and ephemera related to the beloved instrument, currently experiencing a boom in popularity;
- "Pushing the Envelope: Southern California Women Bookmakers – Posing the question, “What is bookness?” this exhibit, curated by renowned bookmaking and artist book expert Kitty Maryatt, features books made by Southern California women letterpress printers, calligraphers, and binders;
- The Young Book Collector competition winner’s collection.
Featuring more than 150 booksellers from around the world including members of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America (ABAA) and International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB), the California Book Fair presents volumes from six centuries of printing, as well as original manuscripts that predate Gutenberg. Books cover every imaginable area – from the history of travel and exploration to early science and medicine to classic literature, modern first editions and children's and illustrated books. Prices range from just a few dollars to six figures.
“Whether you’re a music enthusiast, food connoisseur, or mystery lover, and whether you’re an experienced or novice book collector, this book fair is guaranteed to have something for everyone,” said Carol Sandberg, book fair vice-chair. “We’re excited to bring book enthusiasts together once again to not only view items one might see in a museum or special collections library but also have a chance to browse, touch, and maybe even go home with a rare collectible.”
The California International Antiquarian Book Fair takes place at the Pasadena Convention Center at 300 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA.
VIP tickets on Friday, February 10 are $25 for three-day admission.
Tickets on Saturday, February 11 are $15 and permit return entry to the fair.
Tickets on Sunday, February 12 are $10.
Free admission for students with current valid student ID and children 12 and under.
Fair hours are February 10, 3 – 8 p.m., February 11, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., and February 12, 11 a.m. – 4
For more information, visit abaa.org/cabookfair