J & J LUBRANO MUSIC ANTIQUARIANS LLC is seeking an ANTIQUARIAN MUSIC CATALOGUER
Primary duties would be to research and catalogue:
- rare printed music and books about music and dance
- original autograph musical manuscripts and letters of composers
- music- and dance-related iconography
Our firm, established in 1977, has an international clientele of both private and institutional collectors of original source material dating from the 15th through 21st centuries.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- a graduate degree in music history
- a Masters degree in Library Science or previous employment experience in the rare book and manuscript trade
- some experience in original antiquarian music and/or rare book and manuscript cataloguing and a good knowledge of relevant bibliographical resources
- an appreciation of, and enthusiasm for handling, original sources
- an interest in the history of music printing and publishing
- an interest in the commercial dimension of antiquarian bookselling
- a good reading knowledge of one or more European languages, preferably German, French or Italian
- strong writing and oral communication skills
- good computer skills
- good organizational skills
- the ability to adapt to changing work priorities
- the ability to work well both individually and as part of a team
- the ability to occasionally lift and carry boxes weighing up to 30 pounds
We are located in private premises on the north shore of Long Island, approximately one hour from New York City. Salary $20 to $30 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.
A unique opportunity for exciting, hands-on work with rare and often highly interesting historical musical material.
Please send applications (which should include a cover letter, resumé, and references) to firstname.lastname@example.org.