Update: these items were recovered in 2016. (5/31/2019)
Bay Leaf Books in downtown Newaygo, Michigan, was robbed last Thursday evening. Below is a list of books that were taken, a couple of which were one-of-a-kind that will be difficult to sell. If you have any information on any of these items, please contact Bay Leaf Books at (231) 652-BOOK (2665) or the Newaygo Police department. The police complaint number is 14-505.
- Stanhope, Leicester. Greece, In 1823 and 1824; Being a Series of Letters, and Other Documents, on the Greek Revolution, Written During a Visit to that Country. A New Edition, Containing Numerous Supplementary Papers, Illustrative of the State of Greece in 1825. By the Honourable Colonel Leicester Stanhope. Illustrated with Several Curious Fac-similies. To which are Added, Reminiscences of Lord Byron (London, 1825). … together with …Cruikshank, George. The Spirit of the Public Journals, for the Year M.DCCC.XXIII: Being an Impartial Selection of the Most Exquisite Essays, Jeux D’Esprit, and Tales of Humour, Prose and Verse, that have Appeared in the Morning, Evening, and Sunday Newspapers. With Explanatory Notes. Illustrated with a Portrait of His Majesty, and Six Humorous Designs by Cruikshank (London, 1824) (illustrations appear on pp. 223, 257, 337, 363, 413, 469, and facing the title page). Marbled boards over velum spine.
- Davis, William. A Journey Round the Library of a Bibliomaniac: or, Cento of Notes and Reminiscences Concerning Rare, Curious, and Valuable Books (1821) bound together with A Second Journey Round the Library (1825). London: Printed for W. Davis, Bookseller, at the Bedford Library, Southampton Row, Russell Square; Marshall, Printer, Kenton-st. Brunswick-sq., 1821 (first volume), 1825 (second volume). Leather-bound, Octavo, 4 7/8 by 7 1/2-inches, vii, 96 pp., 120 pp. This was rebound by Vernon Wiering in full leather and has his ticket on the rear pastedown.
- Child, Harold, trans., ed. Aucassin and Nicolete. London: Adam and Charles Black, 1911. Illustrated with six color plates by Anne Anderson. Text is in French.
- Michigan in the Civil War, c. 1882, recent binding with the binder’s ticket (label) for Hickel Bindery on the rear pastedown.
- Book on Japanese antiquity. Large folio (around 24” tall) in gray clamshell box with Japanese titles.