1868 · Clinton, Hunterdon Country, New Jersey
Clinton, Hunterdon Country, New Jersey, 1868. Two volumes, 1.) General Ledger 1856 to 1863. 12" x 18", 440 numbered pages; 2.) Discount Book. October 1861 to September 1868. 11½" x 16"; bound ledger. 533 numbered pages. Full calf, leather labels. Ink, legible hand. Very good (heavy). The oldest banking institution in Clinton, New Jersey, was founded in 1856, under the general banking law, as the Clinton Bank, with a capital of $100,000, of which $80,000 was paid in. There were thirteen directors; Robert Foster, James P. Huflinan, J. T. Leigh, J.A. Young, William Egbert, E.A. Rockhill, J.H. Huffman, Joseph Boss, Peter Melick, Peter Sigler, N.S. Cramer, Bennet Van Syckel, and Whitfield Dunham. Robert Foster was chosen president and N.W. Voorhees cashier. Business was commenced in a building standing just west of the post-office, but about 1860 the banking house was occupied. The first ledger contains pages with the headings; bills and notes, Jersey City Bonds and other state bonds, interest and discounts, loans, bonds and mortgages, incidental expenses, dividends, as well as transactions to other banks (such as Easton Bank, Phillipsburgh Bank, American Exchange Bank, State Bank at New Brunswick etc.). The Discount Book contains lists of discounted notes which include the customer name, discount, proceeds. Some of the customer names include John E. Voorhees, P. Van Pelt, William M. Shipman, George H. Huffman, Van Horn & Prost, James R. Kline, J. Taylor Conover, and dozens more. In July, 1865, the institution was reorganized as "The Clinton National Bank," with a capital of $100,000. In 1874, Mr. Voorhees was succeeded as cashier by B.V. Leigh, and in January, 1875, Mr. Foster retired from the presidency, when Joseph Van Syckel was chosen to succeed him. Messrs. Van Syckel and Leigh were respectively president and cashier, and John T. Leigh vice-president. The directors for 1880 were J.H. Rockafellow, J.N. Ramsey, N. Boyd, T.E. Hunt, Edward Humphrey, William Egbert, and Elijah Stout, S. Van Syckel, J. Van Syckel, John T. Leigh, A.J. Reeves, Fisher Pidcock, and Sydney Yard. [ref. History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties, New Jersey 1881]. In 1972 the First Clinton National Bank merged into and subsequently operated as part of First National Bank of Central Jersey in Somerville, New Jersey. In 1977 the bank headquarters moved to Bridgewater Township, New Jersey.
(Inventory #: 53483)