Excavations Beside the North-West Gate at Veii, 1957-58
by Ward-Perkins, J.B.
Reprinted from the Papers of the British School at Rome, 1959. Softcover. vg. 2 volumes in 1. 8vo. Original wrappers rebound in blue cloth with title-plate. Minor scuffing to boards. Some discoloration and staining to wraps. The ruins of Veii are located about 15 miles northwest of Rome. Veii was the greatest centre for fabrication of terra-cotta sculptures in Etruria in the 6th Century B.C. "The excavations here described were undertaken by the British School at Rome on behalf of the Superintendency of Antiquities for Southern Etruria...The purpose of the excavations was the strictly limited one of examining while there was yet time, one of the few remaining stretches of the defenses of Veii where ploughing in recent years had revealed (and is now rapidly destroying) substantial remains of the ancient walls." Illustrated with reproductions of b/w photographs, drawings as well as fold-out plans. Volume XXVII (New Series Volume XIV). Very good condition. (Inventory #: 15179)